top of page

Electrical Safety And Efficiency In Your Home

Updated: Jan 30

Electrical safety tips with protecting your family in mind.


Electricity is a vital part of our daily lives, but it can also be dangerous if not handled properly. To keep your family safe, we've compiled a list of important electrical safety tips that you can follow in your home. From preventing electrical fires to avoiding electrical shock, our tips will provide you with the knowledge you need to stay safe.

Electrician working on wiring

Regularly inspect electrical cords for signs of wear and tear

It's always important to inspect your cords for any sections of the plug or cord that may be melted, discolored, or warped in any way. If you have appliances with damaged electrical cords or are unsure about the safety of any device, please contact me. Preventative measures to help keep your cords intact. Use items such as zip ties to round up and secure loose cords while also keeping them away from furniture to avoid any pinching of the cord and a dangerous tripping hazard.


exposed wires that need replaced

Signs Your Cord Needs Replaced

  • Discoloration around the outlet and wall

  • Flickering and Dimming of lights when appliance is in use

  • Warm to the touch outlet

  • Any visible cut or tear in exterior rubber coating

  • Dry rot in the rubber coating

  • Missing or broken prong on the plug

  • Slight tingle when you plug or unplug the cord from an outlet.

Surge protector of 200-400 Joule rating

Avoid overloading outlets to prevent overheating, electrical fires, and costly repairs.

Use surge protectors to protect your electronics from power surges and other electrical issues. Pro Tip: the higher the joule rating the better the protection. It is recommended to purchase a protector with a joule rating of 200-400 while going with 1000+ joule rating is recommended for equipment such as computers, audio/video equipment and displays.

overloaded wall outlet

Signs Of An Overloaded Outlet


  • The outlet or switch becomes warm to the touch

  • Flickering or dimming lights after you’ve plugged something in.

  • Small shock or tingling upon plugging an appliance in.

  • Frequently tripped circuit breaker.

Unplugging Appliances

Unplug and store unused appliances to save energy and reduce the risk of electrical fires. This can save you a lot of money on your electric bill. Keep flammable materials away from electrical outlets and appliances to reduce the risk of fires. Always keep a fire extinguisher readily available in your home.


In conclusion, it is essential to prioritize electrical safety in all settings to prevent accidents and injury. Basic precautions such as avoiding the use of damaged electrical cords, not overloading outlets, and turning off appliances when not in use can go a long way in ensuring safety and saving you money in the long run. Additionally, it is crucial to have regular electrical inspections and to hire licensed professionals for any electrical work.




Comments


bottom of page